Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Scratch Assignment

I came into Digital Media Foundations in the second week of the term. I didn't know where the lecture section was given, so I accidentally walked into Arnie Abrams' Intro to Multimedia class. Eventually I found the right room, but when I walked in, I thought I was in the wrong place because I expected to see Miles. Dennis invited me to come in, so I did. Needless to say, it was a good thing I did.

For the first assignment, I had no idea what I was going to do. I sort of just sat down and started drawing. Out of that, the idea came to me to explore figure/ground reversal with positive and negative space. Most people have seen those optical illusions that can be two different things depending on how you look at it. With these first two images, I tried to direct the viewer to see what I wanted them to see. The last one was just something I thought looked nice.

What do you see?

1 comment:

  1. Ironically enough, I think both the cup and the profiles are more pronounced in the final image. Perhaps because the stars direct our focus toward the boundary between white and black?

    ReplyDelete